Monday, October 08, 2012

Reading Chapter Books

When my mom was in town a month ago, she pointed out some ways Rychen P. was struggling with his reading. In the conversation she also mentioned how kids this age usually have homework of reading about 20 minutes a day aloud to a parent. I realized I hadn't been working on reading as much as I should have been--I had let is slipped, as it wasn't something Rychen P. preferred to do.

Well I am happy to report, we have read 20 minutes a day since then and Rychen P. has improved dramatically! Now he reads much more smoothly, without mixing up little words, and with proper intonation too. But even more of a change is that now he enjoys reading - he will pick up a book and begin to read on his own! I was totally shocked to catch him on the couch reading a chapter book of his own volition. As a matter of fact, one day when his dad asked him to do a job he replied, "But I want to read!" I was never happier to hear my son whine in disobedience.

He is reading the 3rd book in the Fudge series right now. He read the first 2 aloud to me, and now this one he has been reading on his own... although I know I have to keep him reading aloud so he can learn words he doesn't know.

Anyway Elisabeth didn't want to be left out of course, so she is reading chapter books to me too! The wonderful second child phenomenon! She is reading Junie B. Jones kindergarten books, and it just amazes me how she knows big words. This girl is a reading rock star!

1 comment:

Kosel Family said...

Exciting that they have taken to it so well! The boys hate to read... we found out they are dyslexic so that probably doesn't help. We are making our way though it though and some day it will take!