Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Beware! Nudity in church manuals!

Don't look too closely at your church art. In this painting from the Book of Mormon Stories Reader, a mother is being indecent and lewd! You can actually see a large portion of her breast!! Hurry, report her to church authorities! She must have her temple recommend taken away immediately! (Or at least asked to leave Sunday School, or cover-up!) Can you believe this art is included in a church publication? What if the teenage boys see? What if they actually think breasts are natural and normal and have a useful function? We don't want them to know that!

7 comments:

Bug said...

I think he's sucking on his hand... but, that's funny. Only because I know you, I know your being sarcastic, otherwise I would wonder.

Jon said...

That's awesome.

Jon said...

That's awesome.

Kara said...

I just noticed the other day at church that there is a pioneer mom with her boob hanging out. I thought that was cool!

Cindy said...

Ahhhh, you're gonna hate me for this, but you must also take note of the attire of the men in this painting. What would your response be if you saw the Bishopric up on the stand dressed like these gentlemen? Modesty is absolutely relative to the culture we live in.

AJ said...

No, I'm not saying "They did it so we can too," rather I am saying:

If, in our culture, it's immodest to show the breast, then why publish a picture of it? Obviously, in the LDS religion, the breastfeeding breast is not a sexual part of the body, because the church doesn't show its members pictures of private parts.

Good logic?

Lisa C said...

Does the church teach us to be modest relative to our culture or in regards to what God sees as modest? From what I understand, we need to cover what the garment covers, regardless of what culture we live in (including cultures where men and women wear little clothing). I don't believe the church expects women to cover their hair and faces as they do in some cultures, even if the women lives in that culture. Modesty is not relative to culture, in God's eyes.

Also, the nursing garment opens up, so in my mind it is designed for the breast to come out when feeding, and there is nothing wrong with that.

As for the picture...yes the men are topless, but not in a lewd way. They probably have not been through the temple.