If all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yeah, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
Alma 48:17
It's a very popular scripture--I'm sure you've heard numerous times. But today I remembered it and it struck me with new force. Today this scripture takes on new meaning, because today I realized Moroni was not a perfect person. His influence to shake the powers of hell is not because he is perfect.
Let me start at the beginning. I am a "Type 3" energy which means I have some great key strengths and some very specific weaknesses as well. I am bold and confident to a fault; I am pushy, reactive, explosive, passionate, and sure of myself even when I'm wrong. These faults have brought sorrow and regret to my heart on many occasions.
Do those traits sound familiar? Can you think of a scripture character who is so full of himself and confident in his cause that he is powerful and strong, and yet he has a habit of responding rashly and harshly, and sometimes making less-than-sound judgment calls? And yet he has a brilliant strategic mind, thinking outside the box and calculating just the right tricks to use for his cause, stubborn and determined until he reaches his successful outcome; and ultimately finds his greatest strength in his unyielding dedication to his cause, and his unwavering faith in the true source of his army's strength.
Yes, friends. Captain Moroni is a determined, stubborn, passionate, reactive, pushy Type 3 energy--a very effective leader. He is known for his brilliant mastermind and zealous push for victory time and time again. Yet his mistakes as well are recounted in the Book of Mormon for us all to see. How many times have I read chapters 60-61 just shaking my head... Moroni! How dare you jump to conclusions? I can't believe how quickly you assume, react, and act out in haste and anger before examining all the details and possibilities! (Oh, SO type 3!!) and in chapter 55 verses 1-3, can you believe the spunk and attitude this kid has?! After initiating a deal to exchange for prisoners, he changes his mind out of vengeful spite (and pride, I'd say) like a modern teenage girl saying "Well now, I DON'T want it!! Keep them!! FINE!!!" and then angrily plotting her passive-aggressive revenge.
And then chapter 55 goes on to detail yet another incredibly mastermind strategy and this stubborn kid actually gets his way after all! He doesn't want to exchange for prisoners, thank-you-very-much, he wants to sneak in and just TAKE THEM!
Anyway I was just marveling at this Type 3 character and all he gets away with--all his successes despite his character flaws and even foolishness at times. And then the spirit whispered to me, If all men were like unto Moroni, behold the very powers of hell would have been
shaken forever; yeah, the devil would never have power over the hearts
of the children of men.
If all men were so confident, brave, determined... If all mean were so zealous, strong-willed, and stubborn, notwithstanding the inherit flaws that accompany such traits....
If all men were so FAITHFUL despite their own flaws... The very powers of hell would be shaken forever.
And my eyes brimmed with tears as my mind recalled all the stupid things I've done in my life. All the times my rash, strong will has gotten me into trouble. All the times I have hurt my loved ones with my zeal and passion. And the spirit whispered, Annalise I have seen all the good things you do too! And the spirit told me, If all women were like Annalise the very powers of hell would be shaken forever.
And I thought of all the "horrible" mistakes Rychen and I have made raising our family...I thought of how I see myself screwing up my kids... and the spirit told me, If all parents were like Rychen and Annalise, the very powers of hell would be shaken forever.
Annalise, you may be flawed...but you are worthy. You are making a difference. Never forget.
Because the Lord can do amazing works through broken tools. In fact, every amazing work ever completed on this earth, save by Jesus Christ alone, have been wrought through broken tools. Broken instruments in His hands, yet instruments who keep trying. Instruments who stay faithful, who do all that's in their power, notwithstanding the many errors along the way.
If all people were like [INSERT YOUR NAME HERE] the very powers of hell would be shaken forever; yeah the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men. If you are dedicating a faithful life to Christ, making daily sacrifices and striving uphill most days, but not giving up--you are a powerful tool in the Kingdom of God! He sees you. He recognizes all your work and sacrifice. He needs you!
Isn't is amazing that something so broken can do such amazing things in building up the Kingdom of God? That is the incredible power of the atonement of Jesus Christ. The is the extraordinary GRACE of our good Lord. All worthy things are done through Christ, and He works through fallible men. We are indeed accomplishing amazing things. Let the work go forward!
No comments:
Post a Comment