Friday, October 03, 2008

Nyman's visit

Laura (my sister), Jon & Millie stayed with us for a week while they did some Oregon sight-seeing. I would have loved to get out more, but long car rides just aren't Elisabeth's idea of fun. So we hung out a lot, and I showed them the Oregon experience of farmers markets, U-picks, Silver Falls, Star of India restaurant, and La Hacienda Real.




OK let me explain this one. I introduced Laura to EC and now we are both doing it with our babies. "Elimination Communicaton" is where you watch your baby for signs of when they have to pee, and instead of soiling a diaper, you sit them on the potty. It's an alternative to full-time diapering which saves a lot of money/laundry. I will tell you, it's awesome not having much laundry to do, and we use about 3 disposables per week (I put her in a diaper when we leave the house and changing a cloth isn't practical). That is not even enough to buy a Costco pack of diapers in a single size before they are on to the next. Laura is fully devoted and does really well keeping Millie dry, even out in public! But I do it mostly for fun right now (obviously it gets harder, the more kids you have, and the more waking hours you have with the baby). Anyway I thought this pictures is cute, both babies using the potty together!!






Everytime I put Elisabeth down, Jon would pick her up. So I asked him about this, "Why do you always pick her up?" I was wondering if he had some rule about babies on the floor, and maybe I was being a bad mom or something. But he just said "I don't know." I guess he is *fond* of Elisabeth! ha!! So I handed her to him here to take a cute picture of Jon the Baby Man. (and is it just me, or does it look like Millie is nursing on him? ha ha!)






I had a lot of fun being around Millie - last time I saw her, she was only 2 months old (and her name was Amelia!) She is only 8 months older than Elisabeth, but when you are that young, it's lightyears ahead. She was always trying to get at the little baby, poking her, etc!! Give them a few years and they'll be best pals.






We took them to Silver Falls. Laura & Jon are big hikers. We did our best with a little "nature walk" and quick sight-seeing of the falls. It was cool for Laura & I to both be wearing our babies. I even nursed Elisabeth in the sling while hiking! Sometime I want to go back to hike the full 6 mile loop.

Laura has a degree in Geology, so she showed us some cool things on the walls of the canyon. Well, at least she showed ME. The guys were busy being crazy and putting their lives in danger, down in the canyon.




Now there are 4 Gremlich grandchildren, all equally spaced: Rychen Parker Jones (3 years old), Ethan Erick Gremlich (2 years), Amelia Gisele Nyman (9 months), and Elisabeth Diane Jones (6 weeks). Who is going to be next??? :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love Silver Falls. Looks like you had fun! I like how you spell Elisabeth with an 's.'