Saturday, August 27, 2011

2nd annual R.S. Triathlon (5 mo pregnant!)

Yay, was able to do the triathlon without a hitch. I was feeling pretty nervous after being exhausted all week from the HEAT! But I had nothing to be nervous about, it was just like the others I have done... except Rychen P. joined me for the second half of the 5K so I got to take it easy :)

Sorry, no swim pictures. My swim time was 11.5 minutes, bike appx 1 hr (??)






I think these R.S. triathlons are really cool, I hope they keep them up. I know it's a lot of work just for the fun of it, but it's a great way to encourage people to get out there in a casual event that they normally wouldn't seek out on their own. Now I am hearing about stakes in other places doing this too! I am really proud of people I know who weren't already working out and were hesitant, but still signed up anyway and "tried their best." Many of them were very successful with no major challenges. What a great opportunity! If you didn't participate this year I would really encourage you to sign up next year. You don't have to be an athlete, and you can get by without training that much. You might have to learn how to swim, or you could just sign up for the other events.

The downside with it being such a casual affair is that many people change plans and don't show up, so the swim heats are a bit sparse and as a result, participants are quite spread out on the biking and running events so you tend to be isolated unless you are specifically with friends.... which I tried to arrange but was unable to do so.

Anyway it was cool for me to challenge myself being pregnant. I figured I did it last year pretty easily so why not do it pregnant? It was a good motivator to keep me going to the gym, which has helped me a lot combat fatigue and nausea, etc. I really think exercising keeps our hormones balanced better :) So anyway now I am left without much direction, not knowing what to focus on in my workouts. I think I only have a few weeks left of jogging so I will do that while I can, and then switch to eliptical and more weights. I'd like to work on my quads and upper body during this time. In late pregnancy I will just do what I can - walk, but with an incline; step aerobics, etc. I am hoping to keep my level of endurance to a good degree so I don't have to build anything back up next year. But who knows what having a new baby will do to my routine, so we'll just take it as it comes!

3 comments:

Kelly Munns said...

way to go! and oh my gosh you are so cute!!!

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing.....I loved the pics. You look so dang cute! And I love that Rychen P ran with you at the end!

Karinda said...

omgosh, you are so crazy-adorable!!! Tell me how to get motivated you amazing lady!! I always feel incapable of getting going by myself. I have no mp3 player or friends to run with so I feel so bored.