Thursday, July 26, 2012

What I think: Shooting & Violence in Movies

I am hearing all this great talk about the new Batman movie and wanted to see if for myself. I am not usually a big action movie junkie and had to get caught up. So last night Rychen and I rented The Dark Knight (movie 2 in this triology) ... we didn't make it through it but that's a different tale to tell. For today I want to talk about the opening scene.

 Movies like this today are chock FULL of violence. That is not a horrible thing for those of us who can separate fantasy from reality. (Nevertheless still begs the question, WHY are we so attracted to such violent Fantasies? But again that is a post for another day) The problem here is that very few of us have real-life experience with guns and shooting people so we don't know what reality is. Especially not the children watching these movies.

 When you watch enough of these movies with little real-life experience of relating to people and problem solving in healthy ways, or healthy normal ways to gain power and popularity, I fear it leaves a certain subconcious imprint on too many of us...

 See the problem with this opening scene in The Dark Knight is the way is portrays shooting.
 - Guns make a person powerful
- Guns make you a winner
- Guns make you better than the guy who got shot
- Guns are quick and easy with no clean-up required
- You can shoot someone without making them bloody or hurt
- Victims have no family to mourn over them
- There are no consequences

 Did it bother anybody else in this scene, that a dozen people get shot but there is no blood??? Yes I am actually complaining about a movie being too violent AND that there was not enough blood. Why? Because blood and guts is reality and will freak out the young viewer. If we are going to learn about violence, let's at least learn about it in truth. The TRUTH of the matter would be a room with blood EVERYWHERE, dying people moaning and being taken to the hospital, families sobbing with running mascara. The reality is that these victims were real people living real lives and that they are not coming back. The reality is that their families will forever have a hole burned in their hearts and will never be the same again.

 But in movies we don't see this, do we??? All we see is how cool and powerful it is to beat someone up and leave them laying there.

 What are your thoughts? Let's discuss.

2 comments:

Kosel Family said...

Agreed with you! And the most important "Thou Shalt Not Kill". We made the decision a few months ago that if we couldn't watch a movie without it breaking one of the commandments out it went. We now don't own a tv or any movies... we couldn't find one that wasn't suggesting we break one of God's commands. Sin is so prevalent in our day that we just let it flow on by us so long as it doesn't affect us. But then we end up with a society such as we have where murder and divorce run rampant like its normal every day life. We let the media mold our minds instead of filling it with Godly things.

People are lead to virtue and holiness by seeing it and when they see the opposite they are lead to the opposite. The power of suggestion is a mighty thing, used for good or bad. Example is also a mighty tool.

Corinne Ritz said...

I can't watch violent movies. It affects me too much. I seriously get sick. I hope to pass this on to my children. We talk about it now and then. I'm glad that my husband isn't too into them. Occasionally he wants to see one, and he knows that he will be watching it without me. I am glad that he is really picky about which ones he will watch.