Monday, February 11, 2019

He that is greatest among you

Scriptures can sometimes be ambiguous and lead way to confusion, misinterpretation, and ultimately a weakening of faith. In Sunday school today we discussed the fall of Adam and Eve, and I was particularly struck with this "curse" (actually a blessing) that was given to Eve: "He shall rule over thee" (Gen 3:16)

Adam is to rule over Eve, in Righteousness. She is to look to Him as He looks to the Father.

The world has gone is a tailspin with misunderstanding over what it means for a man to "rule" over a woman. Admittedly, to "rule" is a bit of a trigger word for many of us, but that is because we associate it with examples of unrighteousness ruling. Adam was (and all husbands and ecclesiastical leaders are) commanded to rule in righteousness. 

To understand what is meant to rule, we need to think no further than the Great Ruler is the Universe himself. Is He a dictator? Does he rule with an iron fist? No, rather He is kind, patient, gentle and loving. But I would go even further and say proper Righteous ruling is more than a nice demeanor. 

Matthew 23:11 says "He that is greatest among you shall be your servant."

Ruling is about serving!!!!

The Lord Jesus Christ says himself, "Behold this is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the eternal life and immortality of man." His reign as ruler is not measured in conquest or domination; it is 100% measured in serving us, lifting us up, and giving us life and joy. 

This is exactly what the Priesthood itself is. Like Ammon, who technically had Priesthood stewardship over King Lamoni, said to him, "I will be thy servant" (Alma 17:25) and spent his days in Lamoni's fields without pay. 

Likewise, all Priesthood holders from the deacon to the living prophet are servants, and do not receive any pay or glory for their leadership. The men who hold the priesthood lead by essentially making themselves subservient to the women and others they preside over, often sacrificing many hours a week in servitude.

King Benjamin is another great example of righteous ruling. In Mosiah 2:10-16 he explains,

"I have not commanded you to come up hither that ye should fear me, or that ye should think that I of myself am more than a mortal man. But I am like as yourselves, subject to all manner of infirmities in body and mind; yet I have been chosen...that I should be a ruler and a king over this people; and have been kept and preserved by his matchless power, to serve you with all the might, mind and strength which the Lord hath granted unto me.

"I say unto you that as I have been suffered to spend my days in your service, even up to this time, and have not sought gold nor silver nor any manner of riches of you...and even I, myself, have labored with mine own hands that I might serve you, and that ye should not be laden with taxes, and that there should nothing come upon you which was grievous to be borne--and of all these things which I have spoken, ye yourselves are witnesses this day.

"Yet, my brethren, I have not done these things that I might boast, neither do I tell these things that thereby I might accuse you; but I tell you these things that ye may know that I can answer a clear conscience before God this day. Behold, I say unto you that because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God."

From these examples you can plainly see that ruling in righteousness means serving. And what woman wouldn't want a man humbly serving her, looking out for her best interest, working for her gain, providing her temporal needs, supporting her emotionally and leading her spiritually? God says "my house is a house of order," and stewardship is clearly the proper order of righteousness. 

I hope this helps you see that being "ruled over" is not something to be feared or fought against. To desire otherwise would be to desire anarchy, and essentially, to have no God. For God is ruling over us, which is 100% a blessing and solid support to our eternal welfare. Anything following that model is likewise a blessing. 

I am so thankful for my husband, who is my servant, who is humble, gentle and very generous. His service lifts me up and enables me to become something beyond my own abilities—the mark of a righteous ruler, without fail.

In conclusion I would like to point out that when scriptures are ambiguous and we don't quite grasp how the words can be a good thing, we have the opportunity to make a choice: we can either follow the world's interpretation which usually stirs us up to anger and contention, or we can seek further light and knowledge and ask Heavenly Father what it truly means. Confusion is not a fruit of the spirit. I know that when we are meek and teachable, when our hearts are softened, we can experience peace with anything in the gospel that is difficult to understand. Peace and reassurance is the fruit of the spirit; I have felt this in my own life, and I know that the Lord wants us to gain knowledge and have this peace, an increase of joy, and a strengthened testimony.

I chose this picture because it shows the King and his Crown of abasement. He is humble and never self seeking. He is a true King, a true Ruler and Servant.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

No comments: