Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rychen's interests

Rychen is asking so many questions lately!! It's fun to see his interests emerge. I take his lead and we learn about whatever he's asking about. I knew he was interested in musical instruments so I took advantage of the opportunity to take him to a school band concert. Little did I know exactly how excited he'd be, how much he'd get into it, how he had to SEE each musical instrument and name them off, and how disappointed he'd be when we had to leave before it was over (for Elisabeth's sake). So now we need to go to the library to get some books about instruments and learn more about them.

The other thing is, today we're learning about jail and prison. Unfortunately that seems a bit morbid, doesn't it?! We were watching the movie "Ace Ventura Jr: Pet Detective" when a woman is arrested for theft. So we had a brief discussion about where they were taking her and what would happen. Several hours later, Rychen brought it up again, and the questions started. He wanted to know all about prison--what it's like, what they do, where they live, how long they stay, how they get out, even what they eat (He was worried that if he ever goes to prison they would give him food he's allergic to). I told him what I knew, but to be honest, I don't know very much about prison! So I thought it would be a good topic to look up........ but I don't think they write kids books about this stuff! I know they show jail on movies all the time, I will have to point it out to him (like on The Santa Clause, there's a good prison movie for this week).

Rychen also likes having jobs to do, and always eager to do things for himself whether that be hanging up his clothes, juicing carrots, getting his pills out of the containers, peeling cucumbers, putting away silverware and tupperware, etc. He tells me he likes work (we had a lesson on that a while ago).

Here's a cute quote he told me yesterday: "Mom, I think I know why Heavenly Father wants us to have problems. He knows if we have problems, we will pray, and he likes it when we pray to him."

No comments: