Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Day in the Life

Here's a little snapshot into our daily life.

The kids and I wake up around 7 or 7:30, Rychen is already gone to work. Rychen usually goes to his room to get dressed and play quietly until he is hungry and asks for breakfast. I usually turn on the computer and check my email with Elisabeth in my lap nursing. And inevitably she pees on me, because I haven't changed her night diaper yet. This literally happens more often than not, and still I don't learn my lesson. I guess it's just hard for me to change diapers when I just woke up!

We have the car 1 or 2 days a week for errands/activities. So usually we just hang out at home. I have a mental list of things we need to do each day, which comes in handy when Rychen asks to play a video game or says he is bored - I just whip out my list and say "Would you like to read some books or do a puzzle?" Unfortunately, these activities get tricky when Elisabeth is around. Reading books is next to impossible with her climbing on me and grabbing at it, so we've settled into a routine of having "Mommy-Bubba Time" when E. takes her nap after lunch. Every day, when Elisabeth takes her nap, I devote my attention to Rychen for "school time" and we read books, talk, look things up online, or just play in his room like buddies (And more recently, we do DDR, another difficult activity when Elisabeth is around). So that is our most structured time of the day.

While Elisabeth is awake, we usually start our day off with dancing and breakfast. I try to do some exercise, and I have to be creative - using the kids as props, or having them do it with me ("dance") or pleading with Rychen to go take Elisabeth to another room so I can just get it done! For a few years now, we've kept the habit of eating fruit for breakfast, and maybe a green smoothie. We might graze on fruit throughout the morning.

And then the usual Stay-at-home activities...laundry or dishes, while the kids make messes, Rychen asking me questions, Elisabeth wanting to nurse anytime I sit at the computer (a funny habit she's developed - she doesn't ask to nurse any other time, so weaning will be as simple as not using the computer when she's awake!) and if I am lucky I will get a playdate for Rychen so they will disappear and give me some quiet time. I have arranged for this to happen about 3 times a week, and I love it! Thank goodness for little friends! (And consider this an invitation to bring your preschooler off for a playdate at my house anytime!) Elisabeth is usually happy, toddling around, doing her own thing. Although now I have to watch her to make sure she's not eating crayons or carrying them around. Other than that, she keeps herself pretty safe.

So when I get time to myself, I usually have a book I am reading, or computer time, or workout. Maybe I will do some stamping, but business has been slow so that hobby is on the backburner. Rychen gets home at 4, so then we have family time, or we switch off watching the kids so we can get some things done (like Rychen going running). We usually have dinner between 4:30 and 5:30, which may take an hour, and getting ready for bed may take another hour, so the evenings are busy. We try to have the going to bed by 7 and asleep by 7:30 or 8, and then we have a couple hours to watch TV together or eat our own dinner.

I like having this predictable day, it brings me comfort. I know Elisabeth will sleep after lunch. I know I can get a break if needed around 4 pm. I know I am off duty at 7:30 pm when I get to relax, and catch up with my husband. Weekends can be a bit confusing at times because it mixes things up, and we're not in our kush little routine. So I like my weekdays! Strange huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had so much routine in there. oh, how much i want routine. Each day is different. That's it when you don't homeschool (with a 7yrs old), work freelance and have a toddler around. all by yourself. I love to read about your family.