This is a fun way for me to spout off any random math problem. We're using a method where the child learns all operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) at once, for a certain number group. So he knows all of it up to 12 (or 20, depending) right now. Math comes to him very easily, he is doing second grade work already. On the other hand, he needs more work with language arts and social studies.
Another thing I am excited to report is that I actually prepared some materials this week and laminated some things for long-term use! I have had the idea for a while to laminate re-usable worksheets to use wipe-off pen with. Here is a handwriting page where the child traces the written letters and wipes-off clean. This is how Rychen starts each day, it's something he can do on his own while I am still sleeping...I mean, making breakfast. This has really helped this poor boy's awful handwriting. That, and endless mantras of "START AT THE TOP!"
Elisabeth has her own wipe-off activity book. Fun...markers!!
Cute girl. Thank goodness for staying home - who wants to wear CLOTHES?
A third thing we did this week, that I did not get a picture of, is Fact Families and Greater than/Less than. I laminated small cards with numbers and operations, for us to play games with rearranging math facts. Rychen rolls dice, then comes up with the "Fact Family" set of 4 math problems using those numbers. For example, if he rolls a 2 and 6, he writes out "2+6=8. 6+2=8. 8-6=2. 8-2+6." and now we're learning the same pattern relationship for multiplication/division.
Then we have our game to guess Synonyms, Antonyms, and Homonyms. I am so impressed at Rychen's understanding of homonymns and correct spellings even though I have never taught him spelling! Just shows that as you read to a child, they will notice and remember the correct spellings. For example, if you show him "eye" and "I" he will be able to use both in a sentence correctly.
He is reading pretty well but still stubborn to actually do it. He is required to read one book to me every day, and it can't be a book that he has memorized. There is some teeth pulling involved in this, and I don't know why it has to be that way! Why are kids so stubborn to read? It's like potty training all over again. So I give him reading in a sneaky way, like where it's indirectly involved with a different activity. ha ha!
All in all he is coming along, and is almost done with the first grade coursework. A lot of accomplishment and good times for us!
1 comment:
Yay! Looks like you found some fun math to do :) Patrick was having a time with reading and I finally got Patrick to read by telling him that he wasn't able until his first teeth feel out. I thought it was funny that kids learn to read when they loose the front two bottom teeth that allow them to pronounce the 'th' sound. So I decided he just wasn't ready yet. Those teeth just came out and he read me 5 books the other day!!!
I also give them a penny for each book they read me each day. Then on Friday's mama opens her 'store' and they get to buy small treats. This way we learn about the different coin names and values and how to add them to buy items. And it is cheaper than going to the store and having to have at least a dollar every time. I just invented my own dime shop :)
Post a Comment