Thursday, July 14, 2011

Little entrepreneur

Copied from Rychen's birthday/memory book today:
Rychen,

Yesterday and today you have spent 2-3 hours on the front corner sidewalk selling lettuce! It's so interesting to see how excited and involved you get with it. You are SO CUTE! You are such an enthusiastic salesman, waving your sign and pointing to the lettuce, even calling out "Fresh picked lettuce! One dollar!" even though the cars can't hear you J  I'm just amazed you  haven't gotten bored. You continue to wave your sign around and consider each passing car a unique future customer!

You  have been a little entrepreneur now, whenever you get a chance. You make bookmarks and sell them but the sales are a bit slow with those. We are all surprised at how successful you are with the lettuce. You've earned $20 so far, and the garden isn't even half picked! We got this idea when we saw some people selling cherries on the side of the road. We were handing out lettuce to our neighbors because we had so much. So I told you "If you pick the lettuce and bag it, you can set up a stand on the sidewalk and sell it." So we made a sign on cardboard and I guided you in writing out the letters. We are selling quart ziplock bags with lettuce mix for $1.

This is a great opportunity for you to learn about finances and business. You have seen me do my business and wanted to be a part of it. So now you are learning about gross income, paying tithing and expenses, and then net profit.

I've been so proud of and impressed with you lately. Yes, you still refuse to share, you don't clean your room, I nag you to practice piano, and you won't read aloud to me! But you are so cute and witty, we share jokes and fun stuff together. You are so smart and helpful. I've just had to learn to work with you and give you as many choices as possible so you retain your independence. For instance, you will help do chores but only your preferred jobs, which are mopping the floor, sorting Tupperware, dishes and garbages. You hate doing laundry!

The other day you said you wanted banana ice cream, but I was in the middle of something so I said wait. But when I came out, you had already gotten the heavy juicer out on your own and were putting the bananas through! You also thought to put some cherry chunks in. The ice cream was delicious! We served some banana ice cream at Logan Davidson's birthday party and you enjoyed being a "restaurant server" so at home you wanted to do it again. You asked for our orders and happily gave us what we wanted. It's so fun to see you getting interested in certain things. So now we know you like salesmanship, and you like serving food!

No comments: