How many of us take for granted the nice, comfortable homes we live in? And not just the homes, but the people residing therein, who love us day in and day out?
I was recently reminded of a friend in high school who, instead of asking where someone lived, would ask "Where do you stay?" It didn't strike me as odd at the time; I just figured he used different jargon from being raised somewhere else. But as an adult, knowing how homes aren't something nature provides (and shouldn't be something the government provides...), and knowing how homes can oftentimes be in flux, I have a matured understanding and a real appreciation for this phrase-ology. This particular friend was "staying" with his aunt at the time, who hardly kept any tabs on him at all, and had no time to invest in finding out where he went after school or whom he was hanging out with.
Rychen and I read Michael Oher's book I Beat the Odds and it just really opens your eyes to the situations of families in poverty, foster care, etc. It's just a "whole nuther" world out there. If you are reading this, and your home tonight is a stable, secure one in which you will mostly likely stay until you voluntarily leave, Count your blessings!! And we are so blessed to have families who keep track of us, monitor our social activities, and make us come home at curfew. I hope you know how lucky you are. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment