Wednesday, February 08, 2012

More school stuff

Things around here tend to be chaotic. School time is scattered, about half together and half independently. Rychen p. gets a to do list every day ( as do I) and gets incentives for finishing, usually video games or a treat. Some basic things are daily, like reading to me, reading his Book of Mormon, handwriting, piano, chores, math workbook, and exercise...most of which he does independently, albeit with repeated reminders! Other things change and are flexible, like geography, science, etc. ( if questions lead us to something unplanned, we might just call it good!)

So lately we've been really into geography, thanks to our globe and U.S. map. The kids have taught themselves the states ( another cool thing...sibling cooperation and discovering together, etc) Also Rychen and I finished our first chapter book together! We have started many but this is the first time we kept at it. Finally I can read aloud without getting winded! I read him Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher, which was one of my favorites as a kid:) The end made us both emotional. (I am hormonal, but what's his excuse? Hehe..it's cute to see him emotionally involved in a story!) Now he is listening to Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing on CD. After fudge books I want to read him Wayside School books. Fun fun!

Elisabeth is very much into letters and words. She is reading now and does so on her own, even asking me what something spells when she doesn't recognize a word! she writes things too, asking me how to spell it. this girl is 3-1/2!! Very charming. she knows a handful of state names, but her favorite school activity is singing songs. she asks to sing Scripture Power every time without fail! also her favorite books are Gingerbread Man and Old Woman who Swallowed a Fly, which she practically memorizes.

Excuse my capitalization etc. again, on the iPad with one hand....in fact just remember that from now on! :) I rarely get 2 free arms lately.

1 comment:

Corinne Ritz said...

Maybe you recorded this post for your own records, and normally I would be bored with a post like this on anyone's blog, but I wasn't! I found it really interesting to see what you're doing in homeschool with them right now. Especially after a new baby being born. Your kids are amazing! I especially love how into the books Rychen P. is getting. How sweet!