It will soon belong to us!
Here are some photos along the way...
The foundation:
Laying cement into the framework:
The beginnings of a house... On this day, Rychen came home from work and said "Let's go see the house! There are big things happening!" and I said, "vertical things?" YAY!!! As we drove toward the house and I saw walls, I actually got emotional! I choked up as I exclaimed to Rychen P., "Look! That's our house!"
From the back... This corner on the left will be my garden!
Putting the roof on:
Exploring the inside...
This is the living room, the front door, and the hallway opening. There is a small dining room to the right, and behind the camera is the kitchen.
They said we had a choice of color. After many choices got vetoed, we finally understood: we had a choice between brown and grey. So we chose brown. Hooray for cookie cutters.
Here's about where we are now:
And this will be the front yard. I am standing on the driveway/walkway to the door, and beyond me will be the front yard.
Bathroom cupboards:
Here is the kitchen. We get a bar! Nice surprise, I didn't know about. The door on the right is to the garage.
It was really exciting to see the nice cabinetry put in the other day. I didn't realize we were getting such nice cabinets, closets, etc. We were really lucky with this house. I had brushed off the idea of buying a new house for a long time, until every other house was not working for us, and it finally dawned on me that a new house would be the SAME PRICE, and nothing would need replacing for several years... Um, yeah, makes sense! So we ordered a "stripped down" house, to get it as cheap as possible, but with this builder's reputation, his version of stripped down is actually really nice. So it's still a small starter house, but at least it is new.
I am also really excited about the yard. We are paying extra for a fence, that was just one thing I couldn't let slip. I get a huge area to garden in! There is a good sized yard to play in as well, and of course one of the first things we'll do is to plant FRUIT TREES! All this yard maintenence will take a lot of work but how fun, to have our own property, finally!
Here's what really appealed to us about this house. It is in a FLAT neighborhood where we can ride bikes. It's on a cul-de-sac, so Rychen can play outside with the neighbor kids. It is on a main street but this street is not busy, so there won't be traffic noise. And it's right across the street from church, where Rychen teaches seminary every day. Unfortunately that does mean that we will be leaving our ward, and going into Brush Hills ward. But we are excited to meet new people and get settled in for a longer duration (after switching wards every year since we got married!)
We close December 11th.
December 14th the kids and I fly to Las Vegas.
Then Rychen will move us in, and fly out the 18th.
And we come back to live in our new home at the beginning of the year!
5 comments:
So cool! Congratulations, it's a beautiful house! You will have so much fun decorating.
Nadja
If I could offer a few clarifications:
It's not a cookie cutter house. Every house on the cul-de-sac (17) has a different floor plan. The color schemes are similar, but that's pretty much it. Ryan doesn't do cookie cutters. That's why he's never built a house in this price range (and probably won't ever again).
Its not "stripped down." In fact, we added things to it that Ryan (the builder) hasn't done with any of the other homes. Really the only thing we could have upgraged but didn't was the appliances (just went with a black set instead of a stainless steel set).
The cabinets are custom built by Ryan (not ordered at Home Depot and nailed to the wall or anything). I think their alder.
It may not be huge, but 1250 sq ft is still decent size I think.
Love you :)
Yeah!!! What a beautiful house! I'm very excited for you.
Very exciting!!!
how exciting, it looks really nice! nothing wrong with "cookie cutter" houses, we couldn't have afforded anything else (so your husband teaches seminary?) Besides I don't think it looks like one. And the cabinets are gorgeous. 1250 is a good starter home, that was the size of my first home, it sure got hard when 6 of us were in it with one bathroom! can't imagine being in it now with 8 people!
Post a Comment