Friday, April 30, 2010

Fitness update: Biking

Our stake Relief Society is putting together a triathalon event for September! How awesome is that? (the RS president is a big health nut like me and was praying for a way to encourage the women to be healthier, when she had this idea). We got an amazing group deal at Dallas Aquatic Center to train for swimming. That's far enough away that I can only go on Saturdays, which means I would have to take days off running. That is fine, I think I will alternate my Saturday workout, or at least just do a shorter run on my swim days. After the half-marathon I'll have more time to focus on swimming and biking.

I rode my bike for the first time yesterday and had a friend teach me a few things (like how gears work, ha!) - it was really great. I am pleased to see that biking is a wonderful compliment workout to running. Uses different muscles, gives the knees a break, and mentally it's an entirely different thing. With running you kind of go on autopilot and you can zone out - precisely why I enjoy it. But biking you are using machinery in the midst of traffic and must be very alert. I do like biking still, but for different reasons. Going fast, the coasting breaks when you are still moving but not exercising, etc. For that reason, biking doesn't feel the same as running when it comes to judging the degree of your workout; I wasn't breathing hard at all (at the end) but my thighs became very stiff and sore. It was challenging but very fun. I am eager to work biking into my regular schedule.

Here's a rough plan for my work-outs, with daily stretching.

Mon-run intervals & upper body
Tues- walk/yoga
Wed-5K race (increase distance next month)
& upper body
Thurs-bike 45-60 mins
Fri- walking/light yoga & upper body
Sat-long run or swim (alternating weeks)

No comments: