Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Wedding dress


I sold my wedding dress. I was surprised when I told my friend my plans to sell it, and she was shocked, like it would be difficult. But no, it wasn't hard to see it go. It's been at the back of my closet for 5 years. It followed us through 5 relocations. But my friend's comment had me thinking, pondering why I wasn't attached and I didn't care. I think the reason is because I was never a girl planning my wedding, dreaming about a particular, special dress. I never went wedding dress shopping, looking through lots of choices until I found "the one" that I fell in love with. Nope. I didn't care that much. I knew $600 dresses weren't a possibility so I never thought about choices. I found a reasonable, inexpensive (used) dress, and I bought it just like that. (For that matter, I have adored friends' and other wedding dresses much more than I ever cared for my own.)

So no, I was never really "in love" with the dress. I was never attached to the dress. I was never sentimental about the peice of clothing I wore the day I got married. I am more sentimental about the place I was married and the person I married.

Although I do have to mention, the girl I sold it to is thinking of doing those wedding pictures where they ruin the dress. After they left, Rychen told me that would make him sad. So I guess he might be a bit more attached to it than I am... And if my Aunt Leslie finds out I sold it, she might hunt me down!!
And I will say, the girl I sold it to (who was also LDS since that's the only kind of girl who is looking for a sleeved wedding dress in July) looks FANTASTIC in it!! Congrats and Best Wishes to her!

7 comments:

Kelly Munns said...

i feel the same way about my dress. i would totally sell it if it wasn't already ruined. there was a bunch of tool that ripped off during our reception...

Laura Nyman said...

I wasn't attached to my dress either...I borrowed it. :) I was surprised it fit so well.

Anonymous said...

I sold my wedding dress, too. And I had a dress that was especially sewn for me. I chose the fabric, the cut, everything. But I had no further use for the dress later. Now, that I am divorced from this man I once married, I also think about selling my wedding ring. But as it's also a designer ringer especially designed for us, I am a wee bit more attached to it. hm.

weddingavenue said...

Cool Post! Very informative dude. I saw this site while browsing and think it may be relevant Wedding Party Favors . Keep up the good work!

TopHat said...

I sold mine just months after getting married. My mom's was always up in a closet and I never saw it. I didn't want that for my dress- I wanted it to get used! Keeping it seemed like a waste.

Lyndsey said...

I sold mine right after getting married. It was my plan all along and it was easy.

saskia said...

I borrowed my dress. I don't mind not having one. It would just be clutter in my home... I know it sounds weird, but yeah, what's important is our eternal marriage.