Sunday, May 20, 2012

Weapons weapons

Rychen has reached that time in his life where its all about weapons....

swords, guns, and now the latest is bow and arrow. What a boy!

At first we didn't allow gun toys and we delayed this... until we were out of town last summer and they saw a cousin pretend shooting and they picked it up. Then last month without even thinking, I bought Rychen a toy that shoots a ball out on a string, so you never lose it. I was partial to this toy because I had one when I was little! --but I never pretended to SHOOT PEOPLE! That just didn't occur to me. None of my siblings pretended to shoot people. So we are a little taken aback and concerned...

I talked to a couple friends about what they think about toy guns. I think the consensus is, they will pretend anything is a gun so there's nothing you can do. But as long as their hearts are in the right place (they are not actually cruel people) its probably harmless.

Still, we had our FHE lesson on the sanctity of life and not making fun out of dying or killing.

We are still a little nervous about household accidents when children don't know the difference between a toy and a real weapon (I watched The Secret of Bees too many times, I guess)

Well at least the guns have now turned to swords... at least that's a real sport.

Rychen has been cutting his own toys from cardboard! Which is ironic because the first time (when he forgot to ask permission and made the bad judgment of using a steak knife) he ended up gouging himself - ha! see what you get?
He has made himself and his friends all sword/shield sets. And now yesterday he made a bow with several arrows and a quiver! Is that creative or what. Funny boy.

5 comments:

Jon said...

People in these parts would call you "city folk" for those comments! :)

No boys here, so we haven't even thought about it. I think when we have a boy I'll have to buy a few guns.

Jon said...

I didn't push the follow more comments, so here's the extra post, just in case you reply.

Corinne Ritz said...

LOL! So funny! My mom was totally anti gun and weapon in our house growing up. Then, one day my brother ate his sandwich into the shape of a gun and shot it at her. Oh well... You just can't win! HAHAHA!!! I have five boys and we have 'weapon toys' too. I don't like real looking ones, so those we avoid. We really like nerf guns. Even Daddy has a nerf gun, so the boys and him can have battles. Those are WAY fun!
Although, Rychen P does not need nerf! He's got Cardboard! HAHAHAHA!!!!

Kosel Family said...

I have the same quandary; though our boys have a couple of guns. We frequently tell them not to aim at people and only shoot things or pretend things. We avoid movies and video games as much as possible that are violent and have guns and such as to not promote it. Guns can be used to hunt with though and protect people and fight for the Faith in a war against those things that are not for God. I think its just the natural instinct of any little boy. The important thing is the proper training of them as with all the tools that God gives us in life :)

Kosel Family said...

I have the same quandary; though our boys have a couple of guns. We frequently tell them not to aim at people and only shoot things or pretend things. We avoid movies and video games as much as possible that are violent and have guns and such as to not promote it. Guns can be used to hunt with though and protect people and fight for the Faith in a war against those things that are not for God. I think its just the natural instinct of any little boy. The important thing is the proper training of them as with all the tools that God gives us in life :)