This is embarassing. But we sat down to dinner and I just started laughing. Seeing a great opportunity for a blog post, I asked, "Are we secure enough in ourselves to let other people enjoy a good laugh too?"
It had been a long day, as long a day as a whiny 2-year-old on 3 fewer hours of sleep than usual can make it. The last task of the day is get him fed before bedtime. Rychen had to finish leftover taco soup (and made some home-made tortilla chips to accompany it), but the thought made me feel sick, so I opted for salad and pasta. Rychen P. heard me mention fish as an option, and then threw a FIT to have fish. Dad said no, it will stink the house up. Rychen P. screamed louder. FINE. So we cooked three different meals, for a total of 5 dishes on the table. We sat Rychen P. down with his food as we finished gathering our dishes, and the next thing I know there is a PILE of SALMON on the table! And I had served him a restaurant-worthy, beautiful dish of salmon, pasta, and broccoli. He hadn't wanted the broccoli, but I cooked it anyway, and so when I find him munching away on his broccoli and a pile of salmon removed from his dish, naturally it fit right in with the kind of day we were having. All I could do was laugh, so we took pictures.
Of course the scene is worse than that though. Look at our table. We didn't even have the energy (presence of mind?) to clear it off for dinner. There are remnants of the day's projects pushed into the corner. And being totally honest, I would say don't let me fool you into thinking that we usually have an orderly family dinner, at least with a specific meal plan (it is common to have a few meal choices). And to bring more humiliation to myself as a homemaker and sterile person, I will even admit this.... Well you can't just waste SALMON! C'mon, I know other moms out there finish up their kids' food after they have fingered it. The truth is, Rychen P. had the best meal of any of us, and he barely touched it!
No comments:
Post a Comment