Monday, May 05, 2008

Good Grub!

As a couple, one of our fun things to do together is to experiment in the kitchen. We love to make our own stuff and then tweak it, mix it up, and try it a different way. We don't follow any recipes! Anyhow, today Rychen and I made some GOOD GRUB! And just in time for Cinco de Mayo!

Ever since we got married, Rychen's been making our our corn chips out of tortillas. But I've always wondered what that Masa Mix stuff was about... so finally today we took the plunge and tried it out! And what do you know, this stuff is AWESOME! Homemade corn tortillas--it doesn't get any better than that.

It also just so happened that I have been wanting to make my own pico de gallo, and I found some cerrano peppers today, plus tomatos are on sale! So today was the day. I made this up, based on my observations at Baja Fresh: diced tomatoes and miced onions, cerrano peppers, garlic, and lemon juice. I am no good at mincing--my chunks are always too huge because I'm lazy with the knife--but my culinary partner saved me and found a way for the blender to chop smaller peices. Hooray! Awesome pico de gallo. Well to me, it was too spicy, but Rychen could not get enough of it! (It's a great feeling when your husband loves your food, especially when so many times you try and fail!)

In addition to chips and salsa, we also make our own refried beans. My motive is health consciousness; Rychen's motive is to save money (dried beans are so much cheaper than canned). It's pretty simple, just blend your beans, add spices, and warm them up. (no, we don't fry them, let alone re-fry them!) We usually make a batch every week or so and use it throughout the week (Mexican food is a big theme for us).

So taco salad it is for dinner, everything homemade, everything fresh! The best part (and you won't care unless you're a health nut like me) is that this meal is fat free and completely free of preservatives or any food additives! (Store bought corn tortillas make me nervous with all the additives, so this is a dream come true!) The ingredients in these tortillas: corn, water, salt. And they are the BEST EVER! Truly, good grub! Or shall I say, Comida buena!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I don't like mincing either. Your description sounded like me, it made me laugh. Awesome that you're making your own chips, too.
I LOVE taco salad, so easy and so tasty.

Candace said...

yummy annalise!! I'd love to try some of your mexican food out if you wouldn't mind passing on your special recipes!!

saskia said...

I made refried beans all the time. And I grind my wheat and make my own tortillas, so much healthier, we make mexican a lot to.