Friday, July 25, 2008

Oh ye of little faith!

Rychen P. and I had a sweet experience with prayer yesterday. We were in the mall and had only gone to 2 stores when he said "Where is my phone?" GRRRR, I hate when he loses stuff! So we looked all around... he had just been hiding in the clothes racks, so there were lots of possibilities. Then we left our phone number in case they found it, and went back to the Kohl's restroom. I was thinking "All we did was go potty and then go to Deb. Where else could it be!?" But we couldn't find it anywhere. So I told Rychen "You just have to wait for them to call us," and he kept whining over and over "But I want my phone!" (Well, at least there was no screaming and kicking involved.)

I was thinking about saying a prayer but this was my train of thought: If I teach him about praying for lost items and then we don't find it, what lesson does he learn? I couldn't do that to him! So I put it out of mind...

Then I thought of it again, and by this time we were on the other side of the mall, in Maurice's. I thought "If he has the faith, then it will work." So I had to ask him, "Do you know that Heavenly Father knows where your phone is? And do you believe he can tell us?" He wasn't absolutely responsive, but he did want to say a prayer. So we knelt down in a corner of the store and asked the Lord to show us where the phone was.

Not a second later, I suddenly remembered we had done more than go to the restroom at Kohl's! Rychen had gotten sidetracked and was playing with a big clock. I KNEW that's where the phone was (because this had happened before, putting toys down when he plays with things in stores) and we hurried back over there. This was the fourth time we had gone into Kohl's and we got the remark from the cashier, "You guys are getting a lot of exercise today!"

Lo and behold, there is the phone. Amazing!! So we had a little talk about answers to prayers and I said, "Now do you know what we need to do?" And so we knelt down behind the aisle in Kohl's and said Thank You to Heavenly Father. It was a sweet experience, a great time to teach faith and prayers to my son, and I am so humbled after doubting God!!

2 comments:

TopHat said...

That's wonderful! It's great that Heavenly Father gives us both learning and teaching experiences.

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet...I love those spiritual 'exercises'