Thursday, March 04, 2010

GYMNASTICS!

Wow, Life is getting exciting now! With Rychen enrolled in both piano class and gymnastics, our schedule is filling up. I feel like a "real mom," with an actual kid who has a weekly schedule! This is the first time we've enrolled him in anything or paid for something like this, but both these opportunities came up, at great prices and great social outlets, so we couldn't pass them up. (several of our homeschool friends are enrolled in the same gymnastics class - in fact, the gym gives us a discount!)

Gymnastics today was very exciting on a number of levels. Not only did Rychen have the time of his life (and Elisabeth too!) but it was so sweet for me as a mom to watch him run off and forget about me for an hour; to enjoy himself, taking instruction from another adult; and to do things easily that he has always been shy or too scared to do! I honestly didn't know how he'd handle gymnastics since he's always been so reserved on playgrounds. But he loves the balance beam, and even swung from the rings!








Fortunately I still have some gymnastics knowledge from my youth, so I'm able to work with him on bridges and rolls at home, and then at playgrounds we'll practice bar and build upper-body strength.
I don't know how long he will continue, but it would be so wonderful to see him dedicate to something and excel in it. He still wants to be a professional basketball player though, so many gymanstics/dancing will be Elisabeth's thing :)

3 comments:

David and Kimber Strasser said...

where is he taking it at and how much? Looks like a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

I loved gymnastics during my school time. For my daughter we finally found a circus for children who enables her to learn all those balance and strenght and team building things. and even english language, as it is bilingual :-) Secretly I wish I could do gymnastics again like I did in my younger years.

AJ said...

heehee, Secretly I do too! Maybe at open gym I can throw a few tricks. It would be so awesome to get a coach to spot me until I get the confidence to do my back handsprings again