Saturday, March 06, 2010

Running Update

I said I would do it and I did it. I got out and put on some miles every day this week. Granted, some days it was just the quick 1-mile while Rychen was home in the morning, but that is fine. What a great way to start my day! I am LOVIN' this! And it is getting easier the more I do it. There are some kinks to work out, of course, like how long after a meal should I go? how hydrated do I want to be? and other factors influencing what time of day is best.

I am trying all sorts of things... running with stroller, running alone, walking up hills and running down, interval sprints, etc. One cool thing I like doing is running and then when I need a rest, I stop and do some stretches instead of taking time to walk (interval training). I like how that keeps my muscles loose and warm. (Plus, what passer-by doesn't want a good view of my backside?? ha ha!) My favorite run was today when I included several flights of stairs at a local school, up and down several times. Target those thighs/butt!

So altogether my Weekly miles are 12.5. My goal for the month is 50. I am not timing my runs yet (trust me, it's nothing to brag about!) but I think I'm approximately 10-min/mile overall.

There was a 5K in Eugene today that I considered. I would love to join my family and do a race with them, but that was a bit too far away to worry about kids' needs and all that... I think I will run the Iris Festival 5K coming up.

And don't forget the 5K races that Rychen and I are putting together, for free. March 20th we'll be doing a Family Fun Run at the park with our homeschool group, and on the 27th I've got various events for all ages going at the church - anybody is welcome! I'm inviting Facebook friends and our Salem SAHM meet-up group. (If the 27th doesn't work for you and you want to run, join us the 20th!) Ask me for details if you're interested! :)

1 comment:

Jon said...

This can help you get ready for the race.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/1,7148,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html