I did my first 5K run today. I feel great, I am so glad I set that goal and accomplished that. Actually yesterday I wasn't looking forward to it, and I figured I could always just walk it. I have only run just over a mile recently so I thought I would be running 1 mile and walking the rest. But I actually did it! I jogged the great majority of the course, and only took a few breaks to walk the hills.
I found that one huge factor for me was being in a group. When I workout, I never push myself. I enjoy going for "runs" to get out and be alone, but I am not really doing it to push myself (I don't like feeling sick/tired/sore afterward). But today, I was in a group of people about my same fitness level, running toward the back. So naturally I couldn't walk!! I was NOT going to be last! So I kept up with the pack, and as we got around 2/3 of the way through, I picked up my pace and made myself RUN the last mile or so. There was another woman just ahead of me, a woman I know has been training for several weeks, so it was motivating to me to think that I could come in at the same time as her.
My body hurt but I did not let myself walk! I ran and ran, thinking positive thoughts instead of thinking things like "C'mon, you're almost there" (Rychen is reading a book about the mental aspect of running and told me how this is actually a negative thing because it is confirming the fact that you're not having a good time, etc.) So I was thinking thought similar to what I think when I am in labor - just focusing on how amazing it's going to feel when I'm done. How great I feel already, that I didn't need to walk and I was doing much better than I predicted. I was thinking I wanted to make my family proud of me.
So I am satisfied with my run today! It was 32:55 which isn't really anything to brag about but it was just my first race, and I am so glad I didn't have to walk it!! Now I feel motivated to do that same course on a regular basis and see if I can improve my time. It will be so great when I can get it less than 30 minutes. So maybe that will be my Saturday morning routine :) Anybody want to join me?? Since I have found I work out so much better with some competition!
No comments:
Post a Comment