For me, Thanksgiving is about PEOPLE and SHARING FOOD. My Thanksgiving memories are being in a house FULL of aunts, uncles, and cousins. I love lots of people around! I love different conversations as you go from room to room, lots of kids, lots of stories, etc. Everyone brings different dishes and there is a plethora of foods to try. Unfortunately we don't travel for Thanksgiving and I don't see much of that. I wanted to try to create it on my own. I was getting really excited, starting things the day before, thinking about LOTS OF PEOPLE in our house! But then one (larger) family got sick and I was bummed. So we didn't have a houseful of people or a plethora of food, but it was still great to have guests, to let the kids run around having fun, to have some games with families we are getting to know.
Rychen was warming things up just before guests came, and he had a pot of mashed potatoes going when unknowingly, he got a hotpad stuck on the bottom of the pot and put the pot on the burner! So the kitchen went up in smoke, the hotpad caught fire...and then the doorbell rang! Such fun adventures...
To involve the kids in preparation, we made a big board with a tree drawing, where we pasted various leaf cut-outs, with things we are thankful for written down. We also made pilgrim hats for the kids and native american headbands for the adults! I love my fall tablecloth too. It's fun to host and get creative with decorating (even though I usually don't buy much for decorating)
Anyhow, I have much to be thankful for in my life.
During these turbulent times when we are anxious for the future of our nation, I am so grateful for the peace we have through the gospel of Jesus Christ. We truly do have comfort in times of uncertainty. I can have bad days and be upset over something but really, it never keeps me up at night. I never worry. I can be upset with another person, but through Christ's example of love and forgiveness, it really doesn't get to me THAT much. I can feel frustrated with my kids or with having things not go my way, but then I say "Thy will be done" and know I can shrug it off and continue in faith, just trusting my Father in Heaven.
The second thing I am feeling gratitude for is my family. And I am not just saying that! I had a huge epiphany last week at Rychen's piano recital. I was sitting there grinning, so proud of his piano playing. When I am proud of my kids, I feel like grinning from ear to ear, but I force myself to hide it so I don't look like a serial killer. And it occured to me, when I do something exciting in my personal life like get a new running PR or something, I feel excitement inside but do I grin from ear to ear? No, not really! Its a different feeling. More like excitement in the moment. But with my kids, I feel SO HAPPY AND JOYFUL!!!! I feel fulfilled because something I brought forth and have been put in charge of rearing (so I fear that I might mess up) is acutally turning out like a dignified human being! It amazes me.
A LOT of times Rychen and I feel like throwing our hands up, we have no control over our kids. (Right? Can you relate?) They have potty mouths. They are way too loud and crazy. They usually have food on their faces and can't keep their clothes clean--yes unkempt would be a good word. You have to ask repeatedly to get a simple job done, and then it will only get done half way! Taylor is the worst sleeper imagineable and it just drives us loony. But when I stop and just watch my kids and see how imaginative and intelligent they are, or when I hear them bear a simple testimony and I see the gospel is actually taking root, or when I just watch them and see how adorable and perfect and innocent they are... I am filled with a sweet peace. I tell Rychen, "We have GOOD kids!" We have little to complain about, really. I love my sweeties.
1 comment:
Loved reading your post and definitely didn't miss the "distractions" most people have all over their blogs! It's nice to read something real and honest for a change...I also agree it's great to see our kids do things we're proud of and know we had a part in. I think once they've all grown beyond the potty training and needy toddler age it's even more rewarding since they are so much more independent.
Post a Comment