Saturday, January 26, 2008

Fun with scriptures

When we have family scripture reading, usually we all get our own book and Rychen P. cooperates since he gets to hold his own book. Sometimes I have to say certain oft-occuring phrases in a silly way to keep his attention, like "And now, Behold!" But lately he's been more energetic and not wanting to sit still. So we try to read with the 2 of us, but he just interrupts. So I got the idea to act out some scripture stories. We were reading Alma 47 where a wicked man uses deceit and murder to gain power. I said, "Let's get the stuffed animals! We can act this out."
"The Cunning of Amalakiah: a play by the Jones family" Starring Garfield as Amalakiah, Penguin as Lehonti, Giraffe as the Lamanite King, and several other animals as the armies.
So if you look carefully, you will see: (on the couch) Lehonti (penguin) and his army on top of the hill (couch) and then wicked Amalakiah (Garfield) leaving his armies to come persuade Lehonti to let him be in charge of his armies too, and the King is waiting back at home for Amalakiah to come murder him.
A violent play, I admit it is rated PG-13. We use hitting instead of murdering though. And we explain that Amalakiah was very greedy and wanted to be the most powerful person, so he lied and connived to get his way, and then he even killed the King so he could be the King! This is very wrong and Jesus was not happy with his choices. We do not lie or hurt people!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Rychen is so so cute. What a bright little guy. Hey, have you ever been to the children's museum in Salem? Is it any good, because we have a free pass to go! I hope you are feeling well!

Anonymous said...

Wow are you growing your hair out? It's so long. I like it. You're the type who could have super short hair, medium length, or long, and look great no matter which.