Monday, June 22, 2009

A small success

Things are going better, even bit by bit. We've done the gluten thing a few times, and each time it takes 5 days to clear the system and get the crazy-boy symptoms gone. But this is the first time we have gone off completely, including sacrament (we bring our own). I am excited to see how Rychen P. (and I) improves further. Also I realized he was getting a lot of HFCS in ketchup, something I had been missing before (actually, our favorite brand which used to be safe has apparently added it back in without me knowing).

Anyway guess what. This morning Rychen P. (and hence the rest of us) slept in until 8 am! This has never before happened in the history of the Rychen Jones family! He's been a sweet boy today and actually still took a nap. We'll see if this can be a pattern for us.

Another interesting thing (or disturbing, depending on how you see it) is how I can loose my cool and it doesn't phase him. He used to have SO MUCH anxiety, and would get show fears of abandonment whenever I got angry. But now he just doesn't care. Which means I need a new discipline technique. He is doing so much better at being by himself, which has been a gradual thing over the past few months. In the past week he's been a nicer big brother and will even let Elisabeth poke at him without freaking out.

By the way, here is a list of successful meals we've made so far.

raw hummus wraps/dip
raw taco salad
raw lasagna (with walnut ricotta)
raw pesto noodles
raw marinara noodles
raw nut burgers
mostly-raw veggie wraps (in a corn tortillas)
buckwheat cereal with raisins
buckwheat cereal with almonds and strawberry sauce
banana ice cream, or bananas and strawberry sauce
guacamole and veggies
veggie/avo wraps in nori sheets
sprout/avocado salads (various dressings and combos)

I say successful because, while I eat mostly anything, the Rychens are pickier :) I can't just say "We're having salad for dinner." But they will eat these. (Usually Rychen cooks another dinner after the kids go to bed).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loooooove buckwheat. I make hot buckwheat cereal all the time, or just make it out of groats.

Anonymous said...

Do you just give it to the deacons beforehand to bless? And they put it in a separate tray?

AJ said...

yeah, or else it would just be a snack :) We talk to our bishop and bring it every week before church, and sit in a certain spot. BTW I'm curious about your GF eating.