Thursday, October 01, 2009

introvert

I had a conversation with a friend this morning that made me realize what an introvert I am. I already knew I was, but she used a phrase that really struck me - saying an introvert is someone who gets "re-charged" by being by themselves. Whoa, Yes, that is me. I love getting to know different people, and I really enjoy them (although usually in smaller, more intimate settings) but it seems to drain me. On the other hand, I get re-charged after some alone time.
 
I am now realizing this is the thing that makes parenting hard for me. I'm an excellent parent--really creative, energetic, affectionate--IF I have had sufficient time for myself. But if I am stressed and busy with ongoing demands, I don't handle them well at all. Parenting (and attachment parenting, in particular) makes it so difficult to be alone and gather my thoughts when I need to. Mornings when I wake up a bit earlier than the kids and get some quiet time, I feel so refreshed and ready to go! It makes such a huge difference. And the past couple nights I've been the last to bed, and that quiet, still time of late evening is such a jewel! Don't get me wrong, I like being with my husband too, but if he is asleep and the house is quiet, it's just so nice.
 
When I was pregnant, Rychen would do me a favor and take the little guy to Grandma's for a few hours. I began to notice my limit - an hour or two was nice, but after two hours, the quiet of the house would start bothering me and I found I really missed them. I was fully recharged and ready to get back to my responsibilities and my best friends. It was then that I really appreciated them and valued having them hear--only after I had a chance to miss them!

No comments: