Day 1 of official 2012-2013 school year. Rychen P., 2nd grader and Elisabeth, kindergartener/1st grader sat at the same table and gave me their attention for about 90 minutes. We got through about 90% of what I had wanted to, including scripture, PE (sit ups, squats, lunges, treadmill), handwriting, math, spelling words, reading aloud, and science (learning about insects and beehives, even a cute little song and coloring page). Granted that is a lot to cover but I was still frustrated when the whining began at less than 2 hours in. I will say that is the longest I have gotten Rychen P. to sit in a chair and had to refocus him several times, but I am impressed. Especially with our first success at giving him a task and actually leaving the room, and coming back to find it completed. (wow! Never could do it before)...So all in all it was a success.
This is the third year for homeschooling but before it was broken up throughout the day, in bed or in the car. Now we are really serious. Monday thru Friday, at the table, In a certain order, first priority type of thing. My incentive right now is various stickers for cooperation for tasks throughout the day/week and a $5 prize when it gets too 100 which can be redeemed for a toy or restaurant meal.
No comments:
Post a Comment