Friday, December 05, 2008

Birthday book memories

Rychen P. and I have been reading through his Birthday Book, which is a book of letters I have written to his throughout the year, presented at his birthday. This series was from before he turned 2. It is so sweet to review these stories, I am so glad I wrote them down! It's ironic that I am up in the nighttime with a giggly, awake baby because I was reading about being up with Rychen P. (when he would wake up crying, and we'd have to go driving to get him back to sleep). When I told him this memory, he got teary and told me "I wish we could do that more." Wish we could do what? "Go for drives in the nighttime if I wake up." Ummm, yeah. Good times.

Here is one of my favorite stories. When Rychen was about 1 1/2, he went through a phase where he would randomly take objects and bring them to the trash can. Once I was missing my book of checks. I got the idea that he might have thrown them away. To test my theory, I took a blank check and lay it on the desk top. I said "Hey Bubba, look!" and sure enough, he picked it up and went straight to deposit it in the garbage can. Some time later, I was missing my keys. I didn't make the connection as quickly. Days went by. Then it occured to me--Where else would they be? They have got to be in the trash, Darn it! So I went through all the food scraps and junk that is our trash can. Nothing. Well, it had been long enough that we probably took the trash out. So I went out to our apartment building dumpster and found our previous bag of garbage. Brought it inside, tore it open, and had my way with it...and at the very bottom of that nasty, old rubbish - I FOUND MY KEYS!

1 comment:

Laura Nyman said...

Millie is starting to be interested in the trash too. Last night she was taking things out of the full trash. We'll have to watch out for her putting things in there!