Saturday, December 06, 2008

Classic and wholesome

While we're on the subject of TV, I'll throw this in too. Lately I am obsessed with watching The Cosby Show re-runs from the 80's. Rychen and I went through a phase where we watched all the Everybody Loves Raymond episodes, and now it's Cosby I can't get enough of. It's really funny and--get this--WHOLESOME... which you don't get very often now-a-days. There are two aspects I'm really attracted to: (1) The clever parenting tactics, which I strive to emulate, and (2) The fact that the husband and wife actually love and respect each other. - Can you think of any other sitcom (in color) where there is a nuclear family, let alone the parents loving each other? How strange that this is the case. How strange that we think it's funny when spouses yell and make fun of each other. Seriously, isn't that the case with every sitcom on now? Til Death, Yes Dear, Everybody Loves Raymond, the list goes on. Now, Rychen and I adore Raymond and Debra. We relate to them a LOT. But there is something disturbing in how we are entertained by watching them yell at each other. There is not a good spirit in our home when we watch that show. So we are being more selective about the shows we watch now.... Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that show! When we came to the US 5 years ago, we watched all re-runs of friends (which is awesome to learn English, btw), and then we switched to Cosby. Same reasons here, I love how they treat their kids and how they treat each other. I also love the fact that he is an OB. When we had our daughter we went back to watching sitcoms, because they are short enough to not fall asleep ;-) And they get you laughing even if you are exhausted after a long day...

Nadja

Laura Nyman said...

Cosby has been my favorite for years! The library has Seasons 1 and 2. It's cool to watch them in order.