Saturday, August 01, 2009

Book of Mormon movie

I got the Book of Mormon movie part 1 from Netflix. Here's my review...
 
Overall, a good movie. I say 4 out of 5 stars. Good portrayal of the book, stayed true, and the fill-in details make good sense. The tone of the movie is a bit boring, very similar to church movies, except in 2 parts it becomes very dramatic, a bit too hollywood-ish for me.
 
I really appreciated the visuals to supplement my reading. Like to SEE and let certain things sink - in, Like Lehi and family were in the barren wilderness for several years. Just think about that! And when you go through the first 2 books of the BOM in 2 hours, some things really stand out. Like the back-and-forth trips to Jerusalem, the back-and-forth attitudes of Laman and Lemuel. Not to mention, the whole Brass Plates story--really sinks in how brave the boys were to keep going back to Laban when he was trying to kill them!
 
As far as the fill-in details, I appreciated them. I don't they were a stretch at all. Like the family dynamics between the boys, the parents, their wives. We see Nephi fall in love with his wife and the simple wedding ceremony. We see Nephi's pain with how his brother's treat him, and his decision to kill Laban. The movie filled in some details about Laban hating Lehi (which is probable, if Laban was a powerful man in Jerusalem and Lehi was cast out).
 
Oh by the way there were a couple iffy parts... Like Lehi making a sex joke, and the wicked wives being very very naughty on the boat. But hey, those may have happened too.  The whole point is that these were real people, and the stories are real. It is nice for visual people to see it dramaticized and understand some of the cultural background, as well as possible personalities and interactions. I really enjoyed this movie :)

1 comment:

David and Kimber Strasser said...

Thanks for the review. I think we will watch it. I was wondering if we should or not.