Yesterday I was playing cars with Rychen P. when suddenly I remembered a car accident we had. So I told him about it and acted it out with the car. It's weird how I haven't thought about it in so long, that if someone asked me if I have ever been in a car accident I would say no. It was interesting to think about it again...
Rychen and I were driving home from Las Vegas to BYU, October 2004. We had been up late with our friends the night before, and had to wake up at 3 am to drive home. That was our first really smart move. Well, a few hours later, North of Cedar City, I started nodding off and hit the "butt massage lines" (my cousin Eddie's term, which we now use frequently) on the left, which startled me so much that I over-corrected the wheel to the right, and sent us into a spin across the interstate and off the road on the right side, and through a fence. Rychen had been sleeping in the passenger seat and woke up to me screaming as the scenery whirled around us.
As I got out of the car, shaken up, my first thought was "That's weird, why didn't the Holy Ghost warn me?" A kind man who witnessed our spin helped us put our spare on where a tire had punctured. Then we got right back on the road. We drove another hour or so, until the spare tire popped and we had to pull over and wait for a tow. As luck would have it, Rychen's dad was in Provo to visit us. He drove down to Nephi to meet us at the tow station and take us home, to a freezer full of food. That was such a kind gesture, I still remember.
We got quotes on repairing the body damage of our car. We were students at BYU, looking for jobs, and had no money. So we only fixed the most essential jobs and to this day, our car still has scratches and small dents on the right side, trunk, and roof.
By the way, that was the day I was supposed to be starting a cycle.... and didn't. Rychen Parker was a mere cluster of cells at the time, but nevertheless was living inside me. Maybe the accident was traumatic for him and that's why he has anxiety? Just a thought.
Anyway, so yesterday as I was re-living this experience in my mind, one question stood out to me. How on earth did we pay for the tow, the body work, and 2 new tires? We did not have jobs, I suppose we had minimal savings. But somehow we were able to pay. Throughout our marriage we have always been able to pay our bills, even on minimal income. We have never carried a credit card balance. I think that is amazing, we are very blessed.
Also it is nothing less than miraculous that in the accident, our car (a) didn't hit any other cars, (b) didn't flip, and (c) didn't roll down a hill off the side of the interstate. How BLESSED and lucky we were that all those conditions were in place. We did spin several times, right across the interstate, at 75 mph. Angels must have been holding our car down and keeping other cars away from us. We were so blessed not to be hurt at all. And even if it did cause stress to my fetus... well maybe that's why the Holy Ghost didn't warn me. Some tough experiences were just meant to be.
1 comment:
If I could add two details:
1. After over-correcting and yanking the steering wheel to the right, you over-corrected again and yanked it to the left. This sent us spinning in circles.
2. From St. George to Provo there is a single 2-mile strech of highway where there ground between the highway and the fields is flat. The other 275+ miles there is a fairly steep and wide ditch. We went off the road within this 2-mile stretch, thus allowing the car to come to a somewhat smooth stop, all things considered.
Post a Comment