One of the principles of raw food is saving energy through easier digestion, and freeing up that energy to be used for healing. Basically, nerve energy derived from sleep gets divided up between various metabolic functions and when you run out, you need more sleep. Digestion is THE largest energy-sapping physiological task. So, according to this theory, when you eat raw foods (which are easier to digest since they contain enzymes and cooked food does not) your digestion is so much easier than more energy can go toward healing. Also, you need less sleep.
Here is how is has been for me personally. I will compare 3 phases of my recent life.
(a) Summer 2007.
Diet: mostly raw foods
Breastfeeding minimally
Energy: AMAZING - lots of energy to workout
Sleep: Slept about 6 hours at night
What was unique about this experience was that I didn't have to will myself to exercise--I WANTED to, I had so much energy I couldn't help BUT exercise. Also, I was waking up with the sun around 5 or 6 am and jumping out of bed with no drowsiness.
(b) Spring 2009
Diet: half raw foods, half cooked, mostly vegan
Breastfeeding a lot
Energy: LOW - and mentally too (not exercising much)
Sleep: Had to sleep 10+ hours and not wanting to wake up. Even at 8 am, kids would wake me up and I resented it.
What I notice here is how I was actually eating a pretty great diet, but that just shows how weak my body is to start with, that I need a strict diet just to catch up with normal people! LOL
(c) Summer 2009
Diet: mostly raw foods
Breastfeeding more than ever before (her caloric needs increase with age)
Energy: Good, and above average mentally, but not as good as (a). Enough for a good workout IF I make myself start.
Sleep: I'm sleeping about 8 hours at night and waking up when I am refreshed, BEFORE kids wake up. Hooray! I am not having to resent them waking me up.
So I am excited to see as Elisabeth transitions to food for her caloric needs, if I will be feeling the same as Summer 2007 again (I hope so, then I could get serious about working out). But so far I would say my experience validates the raw food teachings.
No comments:
Post a Comment