Saturday, May 22, 2010

News on the Homefront

Our garden is flourishing and I'm here to tell you, we won't be paying money for any more lettuce this summer!! We have the most delicous, fresh assortment of lettuces, spinach, arrugula, and a few mystery species as well. Fun Fun Fun!


But even more exciting is the fact that Rychen Parker is now an expert bike rider! (still waiting for him to perform the simple task of getting on his bike independently) He has riden approximately 20 miles this week, thanks to the fact that his biking pace accomodates my jogging-with-stroller pace quite nicely.


Third, my amazing husband is now only 2 freakin' weeks away from running his first MARATHON! When he first mentioned this idea to me, I was not thrilled. But I warmed up to the idea as soon as I realized this would be quite literally the first thing I've seen my husbnad of 6 years get passionate about. (Oh, and I kind of enjoyed the fact that he was now motivated to care what he put in his mouth...) Anyway we are very excited to cheer him on at the Newport Marathon June 5th. His family is very proud and excited for him as well.
Today was a 15K race (9.33 miles) he ran with his parents in Eugene--


(I promise I will be in the next picture!)


It's really quite cool, this Jones Running Club thing we/they have got going on. We all have a Nike+ Sportsband to track our stats, and we've got a group challenge online to be accountable and "support" (compete with) each other. I just think it's so awesome that his parents have picked this up mid-life and excelled at it. The kids and I see Andrew (Rychen's Dad) running several times a week and it makes me smile. I feel like saying "I know him!" Yeah that guy out there every stinkin day, rain or shine, running up to ten miles or more. He runs by our house at the end of his route, usually at a predictable time in late afternoon, and Rychen P. runs out to give him a High-Five. Just so cool.


I myself have taken nearly 3 weeks off from jogging, due to an injury, but now I'm back in the game! Ready to put some miles up! And I will see you June 26th in Seattle, running my half-marathon. Let's go!

No comments: