Sunday, May 09, 2010

Rychen's Famous Smoothie

Rychen's been making smoothies for a couple months now. Those close to him (family, coworkers, seminary students) have witnessed the incredible pitcher-full of smoothie that makes his daily breakfast (and another in the afternoon). I watch in both delight and awe (and a wee bit of amusement). But until today I have only watched.

Today I actually tasted it!
IT WAS DANG GOOD!!!!!!!!!

Yes, this is the first time I have tasted his smoothie. Laugh if you want to. I can't explain it.... I make my own food. But today my hunger and curiosity aligned, and the moment was right. I practically begged for more. As luck would have it, today is Mothers Day. So I got more...and in a hand-painted goblet too! Can Mothers Day get any better?

Now I am going to share the secret recipe.

This in itself is a big step for me. Anybody who knows me knows that I. Don't. Do. Recipes. Ever. I guess the non-conformist in me just hates written instructions--I will do it my way, thank-you-very-much. And yes, over the years, I have come to humbly acknowledge that flavors in measured, complimentary quantities actually can and do improve the flavor of a given dish. I will acknowledge that, yes, but I still have yet to ever measure anything.

STILL... Don't you think a RECIPE for a SMOOTHIE is a little silly? I thought the whole idea of a smoothie is that you get to "throw whatever in" and it comes out tasting fine.

But this is no Fine smoothie. This is a Dang Good smoothie. And so, without further ado (with me there is always plenty of ado...that's just such a cool word I had to use it twice!) I give you, the secret recipe for Rychen's Famous Smoothie.

5 oranges
1 apple
3 fresh bananas
3 frozen bananas
9 frozen strawberries

Yes, he counts his strawberries. But wait, it doesn't stop there. He says you have to put the oranges in the blender first because they are the juiciest ingredient, so you don't have to use any water at all (he says it waters it down and makes it less smoothie-like). This is crucial to the consistency (so are the frozen bananas and strawberries). Any slight deviations from the above instructions will yield sub-par results and will not produce Rychen's Famous Smoothie.

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing. I might try that one. Hmm.