Saturday, May 08, 2010

Wonderful Day

I am officially a Tennis Teacher! Today was the first day of class. I had 4 students (and 4 no-shows, what the heck?) ages 6-9. We played some games to get familiar with the racket and ball, and had a fun activity to learn forehand form. I sent them home with a goal to practice racket handling over the week. It was fun! I am excited to do this every week. I need to get another class going so I should start hanging signs arond town. I am also doing a weekly private lesson with a mildly autistic girl, that should be interesting.
 
Anyhow, the other reason it was a great day was because Rychen P. and I went on a date to the Dallas Aquatic Center to play in the water. He is getting so much more confident now! It's wonderful for me to watch him enjoy himself like the other kids, without needing me close-by. Yep, he ventured out on his own! Even riding an inner tube by himself...while I sat in the hot tub. Nice! And I must admit I had a bit of fun myself, diving and doing down the slide (there is this great slide, just like a water-park slide... fast, really long with a few turns, etc.).
 
Good news aside, I must now humbly admit that I ran too much too soon (or, too fast too soon, to be more precise) and have injured right knee. I was getting too excited to play with my new Nike Plus band and watching my pace, and I foolishly ran too fast down a lot of hills. This was after my knee was already a bit weak, so that pretty much sealed the deal. Yes I am a genious, thank you very much. I have now gone 1 full week without any runing. I did a few upper-body workouts, and after 4 days my leg felt great so I went for a swim workout....and then it wasn't so great again. So I will be taking it easy, doing simple workouts (mostly upper body) and some therapy exercises in the pool. I should be running next Saturday... I don't expect to be fully healed by then, but at least this way I can continue running once a week, take a few days with minimal exertion, and prepare to do it again the next week. I gotta keep running at least once a week.... at least that is the idea I have now. But if you know me at all, my plans always change. For example, remember that nice cross-training schedule I wrote up? Yeah, the biking and swimming is pretty much out the window for the time being. Running is my priority. I gotta do all I can to be ready for this race June 26th. I am not giving up yet.

No comments: