We started June with a move up the road to West Salem, just a half hour away from our old place. We're renting a cute older duplex....
with a park-like yard, shady deck with lots of room to lay out, attached garage (woohoo!) and lots of closet space. Take special note of our two big oak "Pollyanna" trees. See the overhang over the porch? Rychen P. looks out the window on top of it and calls it the "little roof."
One of the great things we do now is garden. We have containers all along our deck: 2 tomatos, 2 bell peppers, herbs, radishes, 2 zucchinis, and withering wheatgrass (yuck). I salute all the gardeners out there--certainly wasn't as easy as I thought. I got the super idea to make my own organic compost by blending up kitchen rejects and wild greens, to recycle nutrients. Then we mix this "smoothie" with peat moss and vermiculite. Here is a video of Rychen P. doing this blending process all by himself... (once I figure out how to post videos)
And here we are planting our starts. Yes, my 2 year old helps with every step of the process. Maybe that's why now, 3 weeks later, we have only a few measly sprouts to show for it. GRRR. (Try gardening with a toddler)
And here's some pictures of strawberry picking. All you desert dwellers would be so jealous! If you feel like blueberries, go pay your $3.99 for a measly pint at the supermarket. But just so you know, I paid $4 for a gallon just the other day, picked 'em myself. This farm we went to had it all--raspberries, marion, boysen, kotata, and blueberries. I didn't like the boysenberries very much so we're just going back for the good old blues. And unlimited wild blackberries the entire month of August :)
No comments:
Post a Comment