Monday, January 05, 2009

Reduce waste!

This year I challenge you to reduce waste! Now that we're in our own home, we have a yard waste bin, which I use to throw out my food peels and cores. Salem also provides a HUGE mixed recycling container, and your choice of garbage can size. We got the smallest garbage can - the woman was surprised at this, and said it's usually for single-person households, as it only holds one tall bag of trash. I said that is fine, most of our waste is food scraps so it will go in the Yard waste bin. The next biggest thing is papers, which we can make an effort to put in the recycling. We don't throw away diapers, and we only have minimal plastic food packaging, since we don't eat processed food. Shopping at Costco is awesome because most of their produce containers are recyclable plastics, or cardboard for the shelf foods.
 
So under our sink we have 3 containers - recycling (a brown bag), a trash can, and a compost/yard waste can. We have not taken the trash out yet! But I take the yard waste out DAILY and the recycling probably 2x a week. 
 
I challenge you all to make an effort to RECYCLE your papers, tin cans, plastic containers, etc. and when you go shopping, use re-usable bags! Your plastic bags can be used as trash bags for bathroom garbages, or recycle them at Fred Meyer.
 
Minimize your trash!  

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Ever since I moved to Florida, I've totally been for recycling! Utah is just barely getting "with it" in some of the cities but it's so sad. We definitely aren't as good as you are but it feels good to ask for "paper" at the grocery store and know we're making a difference.

Kosel Family said...

We have a composter in our yard which will hopefully help out the garden this spring. I recycle about everything but I have to remember to take it before it gets too full. Hubby gets impatient and just dumps it. Good reminder!