Thursday, July 02, 2009

People lover

I'm a people lover. I like people. I like all different kinds of people, and I am just so curious about who they are, where they got their traits from, what the like and dislike, and how they see the world.
 
I don't know when this happened, I didn't use to be like this. But I am glad I have gained an appreciation of all sorts of people.
 
I've had a lot of opportunities to talk to various people, through the different moms groups I'm in, and other ways I am meeting new people. Through this Salem moms group I'm in, there are meet-ups and you don't necessarily know the people you're meeting up with. When I joined the group, Elisabeth was a newborn and it was hard for me to go anywhere, so I hosted as much as I could. I was new to the group, so everybody I welcomed into my home was a stranger to me. And the only common thread was that we were all stay-at-home-moms in Salem, Oregon. Well I just had the greatest time getting to know these moms. A few times I found that I really hit it off with someone, even though we had absolutely nothing else in common. Our ages can be a decade apart, different religions, different political parties, different diets, and even different sexual orientations. But I appreciate visiting with all these moms.
 
It's not just moms either, and it's not just grown-ups. Kids are really interesting. Old people don't bore me either. I used to visit teach an old lady and I genuinely did not mind our visits, I looked forward to them. With kids, sometimes they can be annoying, sure, but it's fun for me to see their personalities emerge and to compare them to each other, noticing how everybody is unique.
 
Some of my closest friends are people I don't have anything in common with. But we hit it off. We can talk, and we respect and enjoy each other. Heck, I married somebody I had nothing in common with! And we are quite simply the best of friends.
 
Three cheers for diversity!

No comments: