Monday, February 15, 2010

To gym or not to gym?

Moms, I need your feedback.
 
Does squeezing in "me time" into an already-busy schedule really help you feel better?? I am afraid it will just make me more stressed.
 
I'm been toying with the idea of joining a gym for a few months, for a couple of reasons. One is the obvious, I want to get fit. But I can do that at home, relatively so, as I do quick work-outs throughout the day, or involve my kids in the workout, or go out for a jog when Rychen is home. So far it's been OK this way - but my workouts aren't long enough or difficult enough to push me. I find that if I do a difficult workout, I need my kids gone for a while so I am not irritable/stressed as my adrenaline comes down and my hormones level out. So I just haven't done a difficult workout. It stresses me too much. So, in that case, I can't do it at home.
 
So then I had the idea of working out at Rychen's parents' house with him watching the kids downstairs, out of my way. But that is easier said than done, and didn't pan out very well.
 
So the second reason I want to join a gym is because I need to do something for myself, sometimes I need to get away for my own sanity. So honestly, would this help? The last thing I need is another to-do-list item, or stressing that I am not getting my money's worth out of a membership somewhere!

2 comments:

Laura Nyman said...

It's a good question. I joined a gym when I was training for the triathlon. I mostly just swam there. They had a nursery there but Millie never wanted to stay there. So I'd go in the evenings when Jon could watch Millie. Since we had busy evenings anyway, I felt like I had to be as quick as I could. I did enjoy swimming alone - I had alone time with my thoughts.

If you do it, some things would make it easier. Find one that's not too far away so you maximize your time away. Shop around for good membership fees...and flexible cancellation. (I had to pay quite a bit to get out of the contract when we moved.)That too - find short contracts or none at all.

AJ said...

I am putting off a gym membership, largely due to finances. In this economy, we need to save as much money as we can, and we are not spending on luxuries. I can both get away from my children AND workout my body outside, in the sunshine, for free.